Wednesday, February 13, 2008

wow!

I have never experimented somthing like that before, it was just wow!. i know that "gringos", with all my respect dear friends, are direct whenever they want to talk about something, especialy if they want something, but i never thought that directness will be so freaking scary thing to be witness of.
i know that i usually try to please people, and i will do whatever i have to instead of confronting people, or even to express my opinion whenever i made a desicion and then i want to change it, if it's involve a big deal, i will not be able to change and confront people, but yeah i did.
Fortunately, my friend was in that meeting, ok two "americans" and this latina, sitting in a office discussing travelling issues.
Our decision was clear we are NOT going to Asia, we made that desicion a week ago know it was time to say that. My friend started talking and things were getting ugly and hursh.
i was there just listening to this two people talking and expressing their idea in a very direct way, "the american way' right, but for me that was new and just not really nice.
finally, the word "we ar enot going" and i was wow! the answer to that was" well, this is a free country, so if you don't wanna go then don't" following by " i think we have nothing else to talk about!" what a hursh way to end a meeting!, he stood up and his face was not smillimg anymore, he was mad at us. I didn't say anything, he didn't even looked at me, he was just talking to my gringra friend and they both were just "fine". For me, those 10 minutes were the longest ones in my life!!!!!. I've never felt so uncomfortable in a situation, that was totally a cultural experience, because for me, for my culture, we will NEVER do somehitng like that. First we ar enot that direct and second i will never speak to an authority in that way but I guess i worked, my friend was ok with that, it wasn't soemthing rude, it was normal, even though, his answer was very unprofessional. He was mad and he showed that to us, ohhh yeah he really did!.
I was scared yeap, uncomfortable, yes, super uncomfortable oh yes, but it was anew experience for me. what it brings to me the idea of identity how much our identit changes when we speak another language or when we live, in my case, in another country and culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home